Thursday, June 16, 2011

Ah, the love of a good friend...

My very best friend from high school is flying in town tomorrow to celebrate her 31st birthday.  We have known each other since we were 15.  I am SO excited to see her and be able to spend time with her that doesn't involve a long distance bill.  We haven't gotten together for probably three or four years now.  She lives in Texas and I live in Utah, so road trips are somewhat out of the question and flying is expensive and require time off of work and childcare.

The thing that I LOVE about N is that no matter what craziness is going on in each others lives, we can pick up where we left off and its like nothing ever happened.  She supports me in everything that I have ever chosen and is one of the most dependable, loving and honest people I know.  I hate to brag that I have the greatest bestie ever- but its true.

The reason for me bringing this up is that I have found myself very sensitive to comments and perceived criticism during this pregnancy.  I have had quite a few friends, family member and neighbors make comments that have really stung.  I was told by one person that I'm not a "real mom" because I choose to do daycare out of my home.  I had another tell me that she was shocked that I would have another baby with all of "my problems".  I know that they were not meant to hurt or offend, but it did.  I also know that these kinds of comments would not normally piss me off but in a heightened emotional state, I cant help myself.

It has been a god sent to have that ONE person who wont tell me that I am being crazy and to quit being so sensitive.  Its been beautiful to have someone who is always in my corner and even in the middle of hormone meltdowns can remind me that its all ok.  Now dont get me wrong, my husband is fantastic but its something else completely to have a woman who has been through pregnancy understand what you are going through.  Josh is the greatest but he cant ever really identify and part of me suspects that he still thinks a part of me last lost it when I whine.

I am honored and cherish my friendship with N so much and I am blessed that I have that one person who I can always call.  Who has got your back, not just in pregnancy but in life?  Is it a mother, sister, neighbor or a friend?  Who ever it is, give them a hug, a high five or a phone call and let them know how appreciative you are of them.  Let them know how much it means to you to have such wonderful angels on earth.

No comments: