Monday, June 6, 2011

And this is why I dont watch television...

I used to be quite the television watcher until about two years ago.  I LOVED all things "reality" and crazy like that.  In the last two years it just feels like there aren't enough hours in the day to actually sit and watch a program for one hour, let along watch it uninterrupted by the chitlins.  Well tonight I was feeling overly tired and especially crampy so I laid down in bed and turned on the television just in time to catch the latest season of the Bachelorette.  I don't really watch this show except in spurts here and there when I recall that its on.  I say this because maybe there is more to the story than what I caught in the hour or two that I watched this evening.

I watched as a "gentleman" from the same area that I live in lead a girl on and laughed about it to the camera.  He was crude and hurtful behind her back and prince charming to her face.  It was HORRIBLE to watch.  I cant imagine how hurt and upset this poor girl is.  I cant imagine having that done to me on national television and then having to watch it all over again when it airs.  It made me really stop and think, what the heck is wrong with people?  Why is it ok for this guy to leave his daughter and his responsibilities at home with no other intention than to go on television and hurt someone.  What part of this entire idea was appealing or justified? 

Again, I don't watch the show so maybe I missed something.  I just cant imagine something that I missed that would justify such deplorable behavior.  Why is this kind of thing allowed to take place in the sake of "entertainment"?  I saw nothing entertaining or amusing in this poor girl crying.  Is this reality?!  Really, is this what dating is like these days?  I haven't dated in nearly a decade and maybe I am so out of the loop that I don't know that this is what dating has amounted to.  I just find it horrible that this kind of thing is played on national television as entertainment.  I know that the drama is why so many people tune in....for the "Oh no he didn't" moments but where is the line? 

I just remembered tonight why I don't waste my time watching programs on television.  It makes me sad that as a nation we give programs like this a vote every week and ask for it to be aired for another season.  I am making the choice NOT to vote for this program again.  I know one vote wont change a whole lot but I can rest assured that I am not endorsing or supporting programs like this. 

1 comment:

Grumpy Grateful Mom said...

OK. I admit it! I watch the Bachlorette. Only once this season, but I was entertained.

I do think the candidate knows what they're getting into. There have been other "deceivers" in the past on that show. But, you're right. TV has sunken to a low depth these days. I will try to refrain from watching.