Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Update on healthy eating!

Hey guys, remember how I told you we are done with the sugar?  I thought that I would do an update to how that is working for the family!  First off- the kids.  The kids have been in total sugar and junk food deprivation.  I got rid of it all at the same time.  The good news is that Duncan was pretty on board from the beginning.  I phrased it that we were all grounded from yucky food- so he could understand it.  He is pretty understanding and pretty on board.  He now asks before he eats anything if its yucky food or good for you food.  I love that.  I love that he is learning food choices in his own 4 year old way.  He is hooked on the high protein yogurt and scrambled egg whites.  Things have been pretty good with him.

Sophia has been pretty on point as well.  She is the best one at the store helping pick out all the vegetables.  We get our weekly veggies- carrots, onion, garlic, sweet potato, celery, green beans or asparagus.  After that, we stand back and look at all the veggies available and pick the ones that look the best.  She LOVES color, so she is always intrigued by the red/yellow/orange peppers and yellow squash.  I love that she is invested in picking the veggies.  I think that its easier to get her to eat them if she helped pick them.

I think the biggest struggle is Josh.  Bless his heart.  He has a pretty simple palette.  He isn't crazy about veggies and isn't very experimental with them.  He tries hard though.  Its hard to get the kids to get excited about trying new things when Daddy isn't crazy about it.  He is trying hard though.  Rather than picking up a two liter of soda (which I cant stand), he picked a packet or orange Kool Aid.  At least I can sweeten it with something other than sugar or cut the sweetness down a bit.  Baby steps....

I have found that my favorite workout videos are by Jillian Michaels.  She is easy to follow and she keeps it simple for us big folks who cant contort like a pretzel.  I have the Biggest Loser Sculpt and the 30 day shred.  I have been pretty diligent about working out.  Lyza's afternoon nap is JUST long enough for me to pop in a DVD.

Results wise....in a week I have dropped about six pounds.  Pretty decent-huh?  I haven't been hungry or cranky.  I actually have had A LOT of energy.  My joints haven't been QUITE as achy.  I have chronic back problems...so yeah.  I always drop a lot of weight in the first week, and then it tapers off- so Im not shocked by the first weeks results.

How are you all doing with your food choices and workouts?  What are you finding that works best for you?  What isnt working?  Let's keep it going guys!!

No comments: