Thursday, April 28, 2011

The power of suggestion

So I am choosing a natural delivery with the use of hypnosis for my next ones arrival in August and I was doing some home-play (because it isnt WORK- haha) and I came across an interesting assignment.  I get to listen to this track called positive pregnancy affirmations everyday.  When I started listening to it, I kind of started rolling my eyes- "I deserve to have an easy painless delivery, My body and my baby will work together.....". 

I was initially kind of annoyed that I had to sit there for half an hour and listen to all of this.  Then something interesting happened.  I actually started listening, not just hearing.  Why dont I deserve to have a healthy baby??  Why dont I deserve to have a pain free delivery??  And then it dawned on me, why do I do this in all of the different aspects of my life?  I hear suggestions and I dismiss them as annoying or irrelevant, but what if it's not?  What if I actually decided that I was worthy of good things?  What if I decided that I should and can have good things come my way? 

Now I am not one of those who believes that if you wish for something hard enough, that it will just appear.  I believe that you have to do the work.  I also believe that if you feel deserving and worthy of good things, that you will work a lot harder for the results you want.  I also am not one that believes in being happy and only feeling happiness all the time.  Life is hard.  It wasn't intended to be easy.  We are meant to learn and grow and we couldn't do that if it was easy all the time.  But do we do ourselves any favors thinking that life will always be like this and that my life is harder than others?

After the death of my father in 1998, I remember thinking how incredibly unfair it was that I only had one parent left and that no one else could possibly understand how hurt and lonely I felt.  I remember thinking that this was the lowest of the low feelings and that I would never bounce back from it.  Well, granted I was 17 and ultra dramatic at the time, and that its been quite a few years, I can actually look back and laugh at myself.  Yes, it was hard and no, I wouldn't wish loosing a parent on anyone, but was it the hardest thing I have endured??  Heck no.  Is it up there in the top 25?  Absolutely.  Did I learn a ton and grow like crazy?  You had better believe it.  So I sit here and count that experience as one of the greatest blessings of my life. 

I made a resolution today that I will only let reaffirming thoughts actively pass through my brain.  That's right- for 24 hours, I will not let me tell myself that I am too fat or uncomfortable to do something, that I don't have time to do something, or that I am not worthy of an experience.  Considering that I have been up for three hours, and I am having to remind myself of this resolution probably every ten minutes, I can tell you that it's going to be something that I stay conscious and aware of.  What if we all tried this with just one thought to begin with?  Whats your nagging thought about yourself and your ability?  Is it your weight, intelligence, patience level, health??  I know I have negative self talk about myself in all of those categories.  Lets all try changing one thought for one day and see what changes?!

1 comment:

Plus Size Mommy Memoirs said...

Great blog post and a good reminder of the power of positive thinking!!! I didn’t try hypnosis/positive affirmations during my natural childbirth but I could really see it helping!!! The key thing for me was finding a supportive medical provider and then everything else fell into place. Wishing you all the best!