Thursday, April 28, 2011

Yummy, yummy banana bread in my tummy!!

So, after years of experimenting and trying to find a decently healthy banana bread recipe, I decided to do a "mash-up"  of a few recipes that I have tried and liked.  (yes, pun intended)  So, I thought that I would share :)  Hopefully you enjoy as much as I do....usually by the entire loaf.

3-4 severely over ripe bananas
2 eggs
1/2 cup applesauce (no sugar added- natural organic is the best)
1/3 plain greek yogurt (you can use regular yogurt, I just like that there is more protein and tanginess in greek style)
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 3/4 cups flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla extract

Optional:
1/2 cup flax seed or nut of your choice

Preheat oven to 325.  Mix bananas, eggs, yogurt, apple sauce, vanilla and sugar first.  Then add flour, soda and salt until everything is well incorporated.  This makes a pretty huge loaf, so I use a greased 9 X 5 loaf pan.  Bake for 60-75 minutes.  Here is the HARDEST PART.  Because you aren't using vegetable fat or animal fat for moisture, you have to let it sit for a couple of hours.  Let it cool in the pan for at least an hour and then I wrap it in plastic wrap and store it in a gallon size freezer bag....if you dont eat it all in one sitting....not that I have ever done that.

No comments: