Friday, May 20, 2011

Co showering

So yesterday I had a friend mention to me that she and her husband had made the decision to stop bathing with their children as they are now 5 and 7.  She said that she had a distinct memory of growing up and seeing her mother put on a bra that she wishes that she didn't remember.  I was a little confused because I still bathe with my nearly 6 year old little girl and I love our bath times.  Yes, she has likened my nipples to sausage (noticing the change in color while pregnant), but I wouldn't change it.  In fact, she asks me plenty of questions in the tub about bodies.  Why do I have hair in places she doesn't?  Why are my boobs bigger than hers.  When will she have to start shaving and wearing deodorant?  I answer them honestly and frankly and move on.

So tonight in the shower she mentioned that she could tell my belly was getting bigger and that she liked how round it was getting.  She asked me a very frank, very five year old question..."Mommy, do YOU like your body?"  As simple as that question is, it kind of took me by surprise.  I responded,"Yes, I love my growing belly because it means your sister is growing and getting big."  And then I turned the question around on her.  "Sophie, do YOU like YOUR body?"  The response was absolutely priceless.  She looked at me all confused and responded "Of coarse mom.  I have legs so I can run and hands so I can eat yummy food."  And yes, there was a silent duh! oh the end of that.  I asked her what else she liked her body and she told me she loved her fingernails because they can be painted and her skin because it keeps her put together and safe.

What a humbling conversation to have with a five year old.  There was no talk of her butt being too big, her calves being disproportionate, her nose sticking out, loose skin on her belly or stretch marks.  It was a gratitude for the job that her body does for her.  A gratitude for the ability to move and eat and enjoy life.  I cant help but to think how much I can learn from that.  I have an amazing experience happening to me right now...I am growing another human being inside of me.  How COOL is that?!  I forget myself how cool that is.  Its an amazing process when you think of all that is involved from conception to the actual arrival of this mini person.  What an amazing function to be grateful for.

I remember having great conversation with my mom in the car.  As a teenager, it was much easier to answer questions without having to make eye contact or even really acknowledge there was another person present.  Well, that is my bath time with Sophie.  Its one of the only places we can talk without being interrupted by the phone ringing or little brothers demanding attention.  Its where she asks me very frank questions about life and makes observations about life that I didn't realize she had.  It reaffirms the bond that I hope will stay strong for a long time to come.  I hope that she looks back and remembers the talks we were having and not the fact that it was traumatizing to see her mom naked.  And if she does?  I will be at peace and laugh and have this memory of awesome conversation in the tub with my daughter.

1 comment:

Sarah said...

This is BEAUTIFUL! I remember so fondly the times I felt like my mom and I had "girl time" away from my brother and dad. We bathed together until I was almost 7 and I have no gross feelings about ever having seen her naked. We would go in the bathroom and play with make-up and curl our hair and talk. I told her about my first "boyfriend" Johnny over curlers and hairspray.
She was never ashamed of her body, and now neither am I.