Monday, May 16, 2011

Laundry, dishes, dinner....

So part of what I love about my life is also the bane of my existence...ROUTINE.  Having children has made a routine not just a nicety but mandatory.  On any given day, you can find me doing at least a couple loads of laundry, doing dishes, making dinner, picking kids up from school, etc.  I find that I can tell you my routine per day probably ver batum and it doesn't vary from day to day let along from week to week.  I could do my routine in my sleep, while on the phone and holding at least one child.

I find myself reminiscent of the days where we would take off to Village Inn at 11 PM for pancakes because we had the hankering.  Or when we would decide Friday morning that we would take off for a three day excursion to Vegas.  Ah yes, my early twenties.  Before children, a mortgage and puppy came into play.  Things were so much simpler then.  But were they really?

I find that I have romanticized my late teen, early twenties quite a bit.  I remember only the carefree irresponsible fun that I had and I tend to forget how hard that time in my life really was.  How unpredictable things seemed to be....I had no permanent residence, I had no career, I wasn't settled.  I didnt realize how desperately I wanted all of those things.  So I ended up getting married, buying a home, getting pregnant and adopting a Katy all in six months.  There you go- BAM!  I am settled.  No turning back now- huh?!

It took some getting used to- thats for sure.  I also must admit, there were days I fought it tooth and nail.  I didn't want to be grown up!  Its just not as fun.  I find humor in the fact that now the things that I look forward to are trips to McDonald's with the kids and having some decent sunshine so that I can relax in it.  So my friend, my routine, I give.  I surrender to you because there is so much security and love in my routine that I cant imagine going back.  I really do love my life.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

LOVE it girl