Wednesday, February 20, 2013

In true Kristen Blogger form

Hello blog friends.  guess what?  This would be THE SECOND TIME I am writing this exact post.  I could blame it on blogger but lets be honest- I got click happy and accidentally erased the good stuff.  Anyway- lets get into it my friends!

SO- Week three was by far the toughest.  My wedding anniversary, Valentines Day- and how do people show love- through food.  SO my sweet hubby planned THE MOST amazing romantic evening.  I had to get dressed up and I didn't know where we were going.  We went downtown and walked around City Creek and Temple Square just to find out that Josh had made a surprise reservation at "The Roof".  It was GORGEOUS!  He had even called an had a HUGE flower bouquet waiting for me at the table.  Awwwwe- right?  I know.  Anyway- food wise I ate MAINLY salad, but then I had a couple of bites of meat and then about four bites of dessert.  It was SO yummy but I INSTANTLY regretted it.

The next night Sophia had won a free pizza at school and insisted that we order it THAT NIGHT.  So we did- and I partook in a slice and I paid for it almost immediately.  Its wasn't cute.  Then for Valentines Day, we made a lasagna with salad and bread.  I had just a bit of lasagna and while I didn't get SICK, I FELT it running its coarse which wasn't so fun.

So the moral of the story is- I keep saying that I am regretting the food choices but it isn't an emotional regret.  I don't feel bad that I chose something out of what I prefer to eat.  I am feeling bad on a serious physical level.  My body doesn't like it any longer and there is nothing I can do about it.  Again- I will reiterate  I am not dieting.  I am not eating less- I am just eating better.  I eat A TON- seriously.  HUGE salads, bowls of soup, smoothies- I wont feel bad about it either.  Im not weight watchers-ing, I'm not atkins-ing, I'm not south beach diet-ing, I am just choosing to eat what my body does well with.

So I thought that I would share two of my recipe wins from the week!  Lets start with dessert first because life should always begin with dessert!

Banana "ice cream"

2 really ripe bananas sliced between 1/4-1/2'' thick and frozen for 1 hour
1/2 tsp vanilla
any extras that you would want to add it- nuts, peanut butters or nutellas, frozen strawberries or other fruits
Blend in a food processor until smooth, creamy and the consistency of soft serve!
*I liked frozen mangoes and strawberries in mine, the kids went CRAZY for nutella and peanut butter\

Mushroom burgers
(you can buy these pre-made but they are pricey and this way you can choose exactly what goes into it)
4 cups of mushrooms finely diced
1 small onion finely diced
2 cans black beans drained, rinsed and rough mashed
1 egg (optional)
2 tsp cumin
fresh garlic mashed or pressed- it depends how much you like- I  did 2 cloves
salt and pepper to taste

Saute the mushrooms and onions together until nice and brown and yummy- add cumin to bloom flavor then add the garlic and keep mixing until you really smell it.  Take off the heat and let cool for a bit.  Preheat oven to 350.  Mix the mushroomy goodness with the beans.  If you find that the mixture just wont come together on its own- add 1 egg and that will help bind it.  Separate them into patties and placed on cookie sheet.  Bake for 20 minutes so the outside gets dry and crunchy and the inside stays nice and creamy.  You can freeze them after that or just pop them into the fridge to store.  Ours didnt make it to storage time since the kids went nuts for them.  (and they "hate" mushrooms) I topped mine with avocado slices and a small spoon of salsa, the kids liked straight up cheese and ketchup.  You can also add corn or anything else to this recipe- feel free to adapt to your liking.

So this week has been a super, duper emotional week.  And honestly the same old cravings came a knocking at my door- granola bars and cheeze its.  I ate tangerines till I almost puked and a dill pickle or veggies dipped in hummus were the answer to my salt cravings.  Once I got over the mental thing that food wasn't going to make me feel better- I seriously was good.  I lost 2 lbs this week but the biggest shock was that I am down over a whole pant size now.  My jeans that were WAY too tight to be cute are now too big and my belt is too big.  Josh had to punch two new holes in it for me!  And again- the best part is that I feel great.  I feel awesome.  I will show you a couple of pictures from out night out.  I can see my fave shape changing again- I don't know if you will but I will put them up.

I know it was a total 15 year old thing to do- taking a picture in the mirror inside the bathroom but it had to be done.  I NEVER get dressed up like this so I had to document it!
Whats working for YOU this week?  I know that treadmill is losing its happy place so me and the kids have been "exploring".  We put on our backpacks and go out looking for adventures and before you know it, we have walked 4 miles!  Whats your win this week?

No comments: