Sunday, February 3, 2013

Week one update!

OK guys!  It's been one week.  I just thought that I would check in and let you know how things are going in the world of operation sexy back.  I ate nothing this week except for veggies, fruit, eggs, yogurt, nuts and beans.  Sounds so boring-huh?  Well let me tell you- it was not!  I ate so many delicious things this week and never even for a second was I hungry.  My attitude with food is that counting calories is not realistic for me to maintain forever.  I think that its helpful to establish what a portion is, but for me- I will get discouraged and frustrated and eventually give up.  SO- I have decided that I am choosing healthy options and eating until I am full, and eating when I am hungry.  If that means every two hours I'm eating- so be it.

I made a HUGE batch of veggie soup with so many vegetables and spices it was almost like a stew because it was so chunky!  I had carrots, celery, onion, garlic, mushrooms, cabbage, green beans, zucchini, tomatoes, peppers- I made mine spicy because I like it that way.  I stored it in a huge bowl and when I wanted something warm- I ate that.  I ate an entire avocado this week.  I ate tons of Carbmaster yogurt.  I ate fresh fruit, canned fruit, frozen fruit.  I ate a huge green salad.  I ate a veggie and bean salad with a yummy vinaigrette   SO many delicious options!  I filled my grocery cart full of healthy veggies and it was so much cheaper than all the processed stuff.  So there goes my excuse that eating healthy is expensive.  I never got bored either because there were always a ton of options.  Not to mention- it was so easy to throw an apple, a banana and a hand full of pecans in my purse while I was out running errands!  Talk about fast food!

I also worked out everyday but Saturday.  I hopped on my treadmill for a 30 minute weight loss programmed workout.  I have found that if I get up and change right into my workout gear- socks included, I am much more motivated to workout and get it out of the way so I can shower and really tackle everything I have to do in the day.  So there goes my excuse that I dont have time to work out.  I put my IPOD in and set it to the workout mix I created, shut the basement door and went to work.  Let me tell you- it was like a dance party for me on the treadmill.  I really decided everytime I laced up my shoes that this was going to be FUN.  So it was!  I was lip singing and dancing (with my arms) as I walked and cat walked to the music.  The first few days were more challenging but even after the first four days, I felt a difference in my body- I was getting stronger.  When you get that feeling- its easier to stay motivated.

I also have been doing a TON of stretching and yoga stuff.  I'm NOT strong enough to do a lot of the poses just yet but I have been figuring out how to adapt them.  I have found that my hamstrings are loosening up and consequently its easier for my back to deal.  ( I have a super bad back and have to have injections in my SI joints )  I still don't look forward to working out but I have decided not to hate it either.  Its fun time with me and my IPOD.  Not to mention- Duncan will open the basement door and start cheering me on!  "Looking good Mama!", "Keep it up Mom, your doing GREAT!", "Your doing awesome Mom!".  If that isn't motivation, I am not sure what is.  My kids are proud of me.

Speaking of my kids....they have seen all the fruits and veggies that I have been eating and they are excited about it too.  Sophia has discovered her love for brussel sprouts and cabbage.  Duncan loves all the fruit.  They are eating better because I am eating better.  Always a good move.  They get excited going to the market because I let them pick out fruits and veggies that they haven't had before.  I got a papaya, a mango and some kiwi and we had a fruit platter and dipped it in vanilla yogurt for dessert!  The kids ADORED that!

So, I know I am sounding pretty enthused but the truth of the matter is that I am.  I feel great.  Really great!  I have energy and I am having fun with this.  In those moments where I want to cave- I just remind myself that I can do anything for 90 days and I'm fine once again.  I am remembering that weight loss and getting healthy is much more to do with the mind than the muscles.  Have fun with it rather than making it a chore!  Go into it excited to try new things and you cant help but have fun.

Now you are probably wondering what the numbers on the scale say....I would be too.  Its honestly not the most important thing to me but.....I am down 6 lbs this week.  That's basically a pound a day.  Not too shabby.  The numbers aren't what is keeping me motivated though strangely enough.  It really is the way I feel.  I have energy and I feel....good.  I don't know how else to explain it- I just feel good.  I know everyday may not feel like this- but right now it does!  By the way- I am not saying that my way of eating and working out is for you or for everyone.  Everyone is different and motivation is personal to you.  I'm just letting you know what is working for me!  What is your biggest motivator in the quest for health?

1 comment:

Celeste said...

What a great week! I agree - I would much rather feel great then lose a ton a weight in one week. You're doing awesome!!!